Friday, April 16, 2010

Euthanasia

I have decided that I don't 100% disagree with euthanasia. If I were really sick and in a lot of pain, I can't say that I wouldn't want to just die. These are my other thoughts:

1. Dr. Kevorkian turned away 97% of people who asked for his help. I think that is interesting.

2. Now people will be saying, "Well he is playing God". On the other hand, are doctors not playing God when they 'cure' people who normally would have died if it weren't for modern medicine? Maybe I am playing God by wanting them to live at all costs. Maybe I have the problem with death, not them.

3. Now you are thinking, "What about the Hippocratic Oath and 'Do no harm'?" I say, maybe it is harm to keep someone alive who is in excruciating pain. People are allowed to sign "Do Not Resuscitate" orders and ask that no drastic measures be taken to save their lives. How come that isn't considered euthanasia? Why are doctor's not accused of doing no harm in those situations?

I know that my Grandma lived a good life and that she was ready to die. She kept telling me that she was counting down her birthdays. She died about 96 days after my Grandpa did and I say it was suicide by sheer will. She was ready to die. I don't know if I think that euthanasia would have been appropriate for her because she wasn't in pain.

I do wonder what the statistics show for people who commit suicide because they are in pain from crohns's disease, terminal cancers, or numerous other nasty diseases. Perhaps they would have had a more peaceful death and there loved ones could have been spared the guilt and pain of suicide if euthanasia were an option for them.

I just don't think this is a black and white issue and it is unfair for people to be 100% opposed to something that they may not fully understand.

Just sayin'.

1 comment:

  1. When I was young I kept hearing about this organization (or at least i thought it was an organization)called Youth in Asia. I thought it was a wonderful mission organization. I told my parents I wanted to be a part of it. Later when I found out that it wasn't a missionary organization, I was disappointed. But what a great name for a group that looks after the youth in Asia.

    ReplyDelete